As a general rule, each child from Infants to Sixth Class inclusive is given homework from Monday to Thursday.
• Parents are asked to ensure that their children complete the homework each night.
In the event of the homework not being attempted or not being completed, teachers may request that the homework is completed by the children during breaktime.
• Each child should have a homework notebook and homework copies.
• Where exceptional circumstances prevent the completion of homework, please forward an explanatory note to the teacher.
• Do not do the child’s homework for them. Work set for homework will have been prepared in class. Please check your child’s homework for neatness and help correct.
• Oral Work is as important as written. Please listen to the child read, and examine spellings and tables.
• Parents should check homework notebook and / or homework each night and sign.
• As a general rule, homework is not given at the weekends.
• Changes have taken place in the way in which certain areas of Maths are being taught. In helping your child, please adhere to the methods being used in school. Providing alternative methods may lead to confusion for the child.
Homework for Various Classes
Junior Infants – Formal homework will begin.
Senior Infants – Formal Homework will continue.
First & Second – No more than thirty minutes.
Third & Fourth – Forty minutes max.
Fifth – Forty five minutes – one hour.
Sixth – One hour max.
If your child is taking significantly longer than the prescribed time please discuss with the class teacher.