The following is the agreed complaints procedure which is to be followed in our school.
1. A parent/guardian who wishes to make a complaint should first meet with the class teacher with a view to resolving the issue.
2. Where the parent/guardian is unable to resolve the issue with the class teacher he/she should meet with the principal teacher with a view to resolving it.
3. If the issue is still unresolved, the parent/guardian should raise the matter with the chairperson of the Board of Management with a view to resolving it.
1. If the complaint is still unresolved and the parent/guardian wishes to pursue the matter further, he/she should lodge the complaint in writing with the Chairperson of the Board of Management.
2. The Chairperson will bring the precise nature of the written complaint to the notice of the teacher and seek to resolve the matter between the parties within 5 days of receipt of the written complaint.
1. If the complaint is not resolved informally, the chairperson should, subject to the authorization of the Board:
a. supply the teacher with a copy of the written complaint and
b. arrange a meeting with the teacher, and where applicable, the principal with a view to resolving the complaint. Such a meeting should take place within 10 days of receipt of the written complaint.
1. If the complaint is still not resolved, the chairperson should make a formal report to the board within 10 days of the meeting.
2. If the Board considers that the complaint is not substantiated, the teacher and the complainant should be so informed within 3 days of the Board meeting.
3. If the Board considers that the complaint is substantiated or that it warrants further investigation, the following steps should be followed:
a. The teacher should be supplied with copies of any written evidence in support of the complaint.
b. He/she should be requested to supply a written response to the Board and should be afforded an opportunity to make a presentation to the Board and to be accompanied by another person to that meeting.
c. The Board may arrange a meeting with the complainant, who may be accompanied by another person to this meeting.
1. Following the Board’s investigations, the Chairperson shall convey the decision of the Board in writing to the teacher and the complainant within 5 days of the meeting of the Board. The decision of the Board shall be final.